Vehicle Maintenance Tips
Vehicles need some tender loving care. And why not – they’re a big investment. You can go a long way in avoiding the risks of a breakdown by having your vehicle serviced at recommended intervals. Performing these simple checks regularly will also help you enjoy safer, worry–free motoring.
- Check the dipstick every two weeks or before a long journey.
- Have your oil and filter changed at recommended service intervals.
- Check coolant level and top up as required – but ONLY when the engine is cold!
- Have the antifreeze concentration checked before winter.
- Have the fluid inspected at every oil change and check it yourself monthly.
- Top up without overfilling and only use fluid recommended by the manufacturer.
- Make sure the fluid reservoir is inspected at every service and check it yourself once a month.
- Top up using the correct hydraulic fluid recommended by the manufacturer.
- On automatic transmissions, check the dipstick monthly after the engine has been warmed up.
- Manual transmissions are often difficult to access. This check is best left to a qualified technician at every service.
Spare Tire Toolkit
- Familiarize yourself with the location of your spare tire toolkit and make sure it contains a jack and wheel removal tools.
- Get to know the jacking points used to lift the vehicle safely.
- Check all lights once a week. Don’t forget signal indicators, brake and fog lights.
- Clean lights regularly.
Belts & Hoses
- Check drive belt condition and tension at every oil change or once a month yourself.
- Inspect radiator and other hoses regularly for signs of leaks or cracking.
- Know the correct pressures for your vehicle and check them bi–weekly using a good quality gauge.
- A tire requiring regular topping up probably has a slow leak.
Engine Air Filter
- Check the air filter every six months or 10,000 kilometres.
- Hold the filter up to a 60–watt light bulb; if the filter blocks most of the light, it needs replacing.
- Inspect wipers monthly. Replace as necessary or at least once a year for best performance.
- Check and top up your windshield washer fluid regularly.